Leaders in Dentistry: Lois Banta
In this edition of Leaders in Dentistry, we had the chance to interview with our friend, Lois Banta, CEO, President and Founder of Banta Consulting. Lois has been involved in dentistry for more than 30 years, working to help take practices from mediocrity to excellence. Here’s what she shared with us:
- What have you been up to recently? Tell us about your recent trip to Italy! Next year you are headed to Ireland, what made you pick that location?
Recently, I have designed a new division of Banta Consulting…Amazing Practice Retreats. This 2.5 day workshop is designed to take dentists, spouses and leadership outside the dental practice to offer higher learning in leadership, communication and systems. Each event has a specific theme with a guest speaker. This year, we went to Tuscany for a retreat themed “A Recipe for Success”. We had a welcome “ask the consultant” dinner reception the first night and two half-day courses on the final two days. The retreat included a cooking class and wine tasting. This theme was also prevalent during the two-day retreat as we designed and discussed ways to create a “recipe for a successful practice”. My next event is August 9-11, 2017 in Dublin Ireland at the Powerscourt Resort…a 4 star Marriott Autograph resort complete with amazing gardens, castle and spas. The theme is “I am a Leader…Now What?” Whether the dentist and practice is new or well established, this retreat has something for everyone. School is never out for the pro and we all know that to maintain positive productivity and a happy life, you must keep learning. My new passion to assist dental practices achieve balance in their work and home life while improving their productivity. I picked Dublin after announcing two possible locations on my Facebook page and the people picked Dublin! I did a site visit and settled on the Powerscourt resort. The events I have chosen to accompany the retreat are: The Baileys Orchard where the attendees will meet the farmer who owns the cows that make the milk that make the Baileys and they will be able to make their own Baileys. The other event we are including with tuition is the Fabulous Irish Food Trail where we will taste a bit of Ireland.
- Congratulations on winning the AADOM Lifetime Achievement Award! The American Association of Dental Office Managers gives this award annually to a recipient who has contributed significantly to the dental profession, and specially to the women and men who manage practices across the country. What does winning this award mean to you?
This award is extremely meaningful to me because I came from the Practice Administrator arena and to be given an award for a profession I have so much respect and admiration for is extremely humbling and such an honor. AADOM has provided a platform for the administrative side of dentistry and an opportunity to learn from and appreciate this amazing profession. I am a proud member of AADOM and to have this recognition of lifetime achievement means the world to me.
- What direction do you see dentistry headed? What trends do you see coming to the dental field?
- I see dentistry headed in a more customer service supported environment.
- I see technology playing a vital role in growing a successful and productive dental business
- It will be crucial to obtain ongoing training in running a successful practice
- Training and motivational appreciation of team will help keep everyone on board with instilling a spirit of positivity and appreciation which will in turn help patients feel appreciated.
- Yes, corporate dentistry is here to stay. However, I know patients still want to feel special and dentists get burned out with crazy schedules. What I see is the boutique dental practice coming alive again and I feel it is here to stay.
- Administrative teams are seeking out more training and dentists are realizing the importance of total team participation to help the practice grow. I see more focus on how to find balance, appreciate efforts and fine tune successful systems.