Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for assisting the dentist in rendering patient care,
maintaining inventory control in the operatories where treatment is rendered by
dentist, explaining treatment and hygiene needs, and placing filling restorations.
• Assist the dentist in rendering patient care
• Places filling restorations
• Seats and prepares the patients for treatment
• Cleans operatory after treatment procedures
• Readies tray set-ups for procedures
• Monitors the operatory supply levels
• Shares maintenance duties as required
• Assist in clerical duties as required
• Sterilizes instruments
• Takes radiographs
• Takes preliminary impression for needed procedures
• Monitors prosthetic cases and ensures they are ready for the patient’s
• Correlates this activity with the Front Desk Staff
• Controls lab tracking system
• Reinforces preventive maintenance instructions to the patients
• Reinforces next treatment needs to patients
• Hands off patient to business team with explanation of future treatment
and/or hygiene needs
• Is a Team Player
• Follows practice protocol
• Receives general supervision from Business Manager and direct patient
treatment supervision from the dentist. The Business Manager provides guidance
regarding unusual problems and emergencies of new situations.
• The position involves having the expertise to anticipate patients’ and
dentists’ needs as well as EFDA certification to place minor restorations.
Scope and Effect
• The EFDA is instrumental in reducing stress levels for the dentist and the
patient. Reduction of these levels is directly related to the ability of the EFDA
to anticipate the needs of the dentist and the patient.
• One EFDA will be selected for this position. This position involves
ensuring all dental procedures are properly supported and all minor restorations
are properly placed. This requirement systematically correlates chairside duties
well as treatment function support and productivity.