DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists in the oral health management of all clinic patients.
2. Obtains baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles
of oral hygiene and periodontal care.
3. Records patient-hygienist transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental
record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature
of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided.
4. Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for all
center dental patients.
5. Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis,
scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted
professional practices and standards and in compliance with applicable state law
and the center’s clinical protocols.
6. Integration of appropriate patient dental hygiene care with other health care
professionals involved in the patient’s health care management.
7. Organizes and performs preventive oral health presentations at on-site and
off-site locations, including marketing dental services in the community.
8. Participates in the PI program of the Dental Department of the center.
9. Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in
accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department protocol
10. Assists in the maintenance of all Dental Department areas in compliance with
Dental Department directive and policies as well as center policies and
procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
11. Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated
materials in accordance with Dental Department directive and center policy as
well as state federal regulations(s).
12. Complies in full with the center’s Exposure Control Plan.
13. Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
14. As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary tasks
to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
15. Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state,
local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the
practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services
as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place
safety, public health and confidentiality.
16. Knowledge of the principles and practice of modern oral hygiene and
periodontal patient care is necessary.
17. Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Graduation from an accredited school of dental hygiene.
2. Unrestricted license to practice Oral Hygiene in the State of Texas.
3. 6 months to one year experience working as a Dental Hygienist.
4. Current CPR certification.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with
fellow healthcare providers.
6. Ability to operate computer, copier, fax, and 10-key machine.
7. Experience with Microsoft Office and practice management system software
8. Ability to be clinically fluent in Spanish and English required.
9. Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills required.
10. Must be cognizant of the public health, social and economic factors which
impact on the overall health, and more specifically the oral health of their
11. FTCA coverage or private professional malpractice insurance eligible