Provides professional dental services and assists in the administrative and
professional direction of dental services within the County. Directs clinical
dental patient care programs and assist with dental health community outreach
programs throughout the County. Provides assessment, diagnosis, treatment,
education and referral for pediatric patients ages 0-17 years in a dental office
setting. Evaluates medical and dental history. Establishes dental plans and
follow-up plans. Supervises auxiliary staff while performing clinical duties.
POSITION SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Please note this is a part time position working 24 hours per week (three 8 hour
days) Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
• Diagnose and treat problems with a patient’s teeth, gingiva, and other parts
of the oral cavity, providing advice and instruction on taking care of teeth and
gums and on diet choices that affect oral health.
• Completes necessary charts and records for patients to accurately record
• Evaluates patient history and determines treatment plans for either ongoing or
emergency dental treatment or advice.
• Interprets radiology, examines patients and provides basic and comprehensive
• Performs preventive, restorative, surgical, endodontic or orthodontic
• Provides educational opportunities for dental students and interns. Serves as
dental consultant to other staff and lectures on dental health. Participates in
community health and dental related projects.
• Provides appropriate postoperative instructions to patients and caregivers.
Experience: The incumbent should have experience in properly diagnosing
caries, oral diseases, injuries and malformations of the oral cavity and
providing appropriate treatment which may include but not limited to:
restorations, simple and surgical tooth extraction, pulpotomy and stainless
steel crowns. At least 2 years experience working with children ages 0 -17
Education: Graduation from an accredited dental school (DDS or DMD). Not
Required but Preferred completion of a General or Pediatric Residency Program
Licenses and Certifications: Some positions may require a valid North Carolina
or South Carolina Driver’s License. Must obtain and maintain a valid Mecklenburg
County Vehicle Operator’s Permit. NC Dentist Licensure, CPR/AED Certification.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS STATEMENT
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with
or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.