Rutgers School of Dental Medicine's Faculty Practice is currently seeking a Per
Diem Expanded Duty Registered Dental Assistant.
Under general supervision of the Oral Surgeon, performs chair side, desk side
and sterilization assistance for Rutgers University Dental Associate providers.
Registered Dental Assistant assists providers during various examinations,
treatment of patients and dispenses dental materials and instruments. Performs
other clerical, sterilizing and miscellaneous tasks properly aligned with the
functions of a registered dental assistant.
1. Chair-side assists oral surgeon during standard and complex procedures.
2. Anticipates the surgeons’ needs during procedures. Hands instruments to
surgeon during examinations and treatment of patients.
3. Manages post-operative patient care, monitors anesthesia patients in
4. Serves as sterilization assistant. Cleans and sterilizes room after each
use; prepares room for oral surgeon based on scheduled procedures.
5.Seats patients, adjust chairs, drapes patients with protective covers,
communicate patient concerns with staff nurse or oral surgeon.
6. Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures as established by
7. Lays out dental instruments and supplies. Develops and mounts x-rays.
8. Operates suction equipment.
9. Mixes filling and impression materials.
10. Maintains all dental equipment to ensure they are fully operational pre
and post procedures.
11. Works closely with staff nurse to ensure accuracy in patient records
(individual, daily, monthly and yearly). Files all records.
12. Contacts patients for appointments personally, by telephone and mail.
13. Charts examinations under the direction of the oral surgeon.
14. Maintains inventory, restocks equipment and supplies to ensure efficient
clinic operations. Works closely with staff nurse to assist with accurately
documenting the use of clinic narcotics.
15. Understands and adheres to Rutgers’ compliance standards as they appear in
RBHS’s Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest
16. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative
of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience,
and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) certification required. Valid Radiological
Technology License issued by the New Jersey Department of Environmental
Protection, CPR Certification is essential. BLS trained and certified, a
plus. Knowledge of implant surgical components, a plus. Minimum of three (3)
years of dental experience is highly preferred.
Position requires standing 2/3 of the time, walking to 2/3 of the time,
requires sitting 1/3 of the time, use of hands to finger, handle or feel over
2/3 of the time, reach with hands and arms, 1/3 of the time, stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl 1/3 of the time, talk or hear over 2/3 of the time. Must be
able to lift patients, heavy boxes weighing up to forty (40) pounds, instrument
sets weighing up to twenty (20) pounds; must be able to lift surgical supplies
above the head.
Clinic and office operations, Moderate noise.