• Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures
• Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing,
seating, and draping patient.
• Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions
• Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening,
sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
• Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating
patient's oral health.
• Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth
and from beneath gum margins.
• Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and
visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to
assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
• Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing
• Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating
temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances
• Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining cpr
certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency
• Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions
and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental
• Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical
and dental histories; charting in patient records.
• Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping
• Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with
procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control
policies and protocols.
• Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive
maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting
malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating
new equipment and techniques.
• Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine
inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for
supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
• Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to
accomplish job results.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational
workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks;
participating in professional societies.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.