DENTAL ASSISTANT COMPETENCIES
• Impact—Creating a good first impression; commanding attention and respect;
showing an air of confidence.
• Initiating Action—Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action
to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
• Planning and Organizing—Establishing courses of action for self and others to
ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Positive Disposition—Demonstrating a positive attitude in the face of
difficult or challenging situations; providing an uplifting outlook on what the
future holds and the opportunities it might present.
• Quality Orientation—Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no
matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately
checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
• Provides superior chair-side clinical support and assisting to Doctors and
Hygienists which includes but is not limited to: charting, patient education,
Operatory set-up and clean-up.
• Manages the patient flow; redirects efforts to respond to changes, prioritizes
next Operatory room for the Doctors, and updates the Doctors on patients’ status.
• Welcomes and greets patients in the reception area and provides a personal
introduction including name and position.
• Takes and processes X-rays.
• Performs patient hand-offs.
• Enters and updates patient treatment plans at the direction of the treating
Doctor using the company operational system.
• Verifies the patient’s clinical and service needs were exceeded and takes
appropriate action when visits do not meet expectations.
• Escorts the patient to check-out.
• Completes sterilization processes for equipment and Operatory.
• Monitors all laboratory cases and ensures they are ready for the next day’s
• Maintains emergency kits and first aid supplies, emergency medications, and