A full time, non-exempt position responsible for assisting the dentist(s) and
dental hygienist(s) in the direct provision of primary care dental services to
patients of AccessHealth. The Dental Assistant is also responsible for
sterilization, preparation and inventory control of dental instruments and
*3 days/week, 12 hour shifts, plus one Saturday 8 am to 12 pm per month, full
*Bilingual capabilities - English/Spanish*
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serves as dentists, dental hygienists, or student’s chair-side
2. Prepares operatory for patient treatment as per Dental Department
protocols and the dentist’s or dental hygienist’s directions.
3. Exposes and develops dental radiographs in accordance with state
regulations and law as well as Dental Department directive and protocol.
4. Follows guidelines for patient preparation and dismissal according to
Dental Department policy and protocol.
5. Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by the dentist
in accordance with state regulation and law and Dental Department directive and
6. Maintains Dental Department equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s
directions and Dental Department policy and protocol.
7. Maintains all Dental Department areas in compliance with Dental
Department directives and protocols as well as center policies and procedures
relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
8. Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual
item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
9. Maintains a list of all Dental Department patients, monitors patient
flow, and assists the Dental Director, dentist(s) and dental hygienist(s) in
assuring that all patient records and documents, including encounter forms and
routing slips, are properly and accurately completed and filed.
10. Pulls and reviews patient charts as required.
11. Assists patients in resolving minor difficulties, answering their
questions and giving directions to patients as authorized by the dentist or
12. Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with
professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the Dental Department.
13. Assists with various clinical and administrative functions of the center
as appropriate and time permits.
14. Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment
in accordance with Dental Department directive and protocol.
15. Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially
contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive, center
policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
16. Performs all functions in full compliance with the center’s and the
Dental Department Exposure Control Plan including but not limited to the use of
Personal Protective Equipment and Universal Precautions.
17. Participates in appropriate health promotion / disease prevention
activities, both on-site and off-site as required.
18. Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
19. As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary
tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
20. Responsible for personal compliance in full with all applicable federal,
state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures including,
but not limited to, the participation of a Dental Assistant in the provision of
clinical dental care, as well as those relating to, but not limited to,
personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
21. Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein as
may be assigned or delegated.