Under direct and indirect supervision, the dental assistant will assist the
Dentist in both administrative and clinical duties including: prepare patient
for procedure or exam, sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument
trays, prepare materials, and assist during dental procedures. Provide patient
and practice support services.
• Must always represent the practice in a professional, pleasant,
and cooperative manner.
• Maintain regular attendance and adhere to assigned work schedule
and office policies.
• Must be able to comfortably and efficiently handle multiple
deadlines and task assignments.
• Must be able to work both independently and cooperatively in
• Assist with dental and medical emergencies according to OSHA and office
• Maintain CPR certification.
• Assist chair side during administration of nitrous oxide.
• Instruct patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
• Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of
• Record treatment information in patient records.
• Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
• Actively provide hand instruments and materials as needed to Dentist
during exams and procedures
in order to help maintain patient comfort and Dentist’s efficiency.
• Occasionally there may be some travel, by car required in order to
participate in continuing
education or seminars.
• Perform routine equipment maintenance and determining when and what kind
of maintenance is needed.
• Other duties and tasks, as assigned periodically.
• Always maintain the highest level of respect and care when working with
management and fellow staff members.
• Always maintain the highest level of confidentiality to HIPAA standards.
• Adhere to strict safety guidelines and procedures to OSHA and office
• Adhere to office policy and procedures when collecting payments.
• Must be detail oriented in order to work efficiently in small spaces and
maintain patient comfort.
• Must be flexible and understand that job duties may change from time to
time and that this individual
may be asked to assist in other areas of the office.
• Must excel in forward thinking in order to anticipate the needs of the
doctor as well as the patient.
• Must demonstrate active listening by giving full attention to what other
people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking
questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Must demonstrate good reading comprehension by understanding written
sentences and paragraphs
in work-related documents.
• Must demonstrate excellent communication skills by talking to others to
convey information effectively.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Bilingual(Spanish) a plus
• High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
• Diploma or certificate from an approved dental assisting program as
accredited by CODA.
• Preferred two years of dental or orthopedic practice experience.
• Coronal Polishing and Sealant certification
• Billing experience is a plus