To apply go to our website: (http://southerndentalalliance.com/careers/)
Purpose and summary of role
The primary purpose of the Dental Assistant (DA) role is to ensure the Dentists are set up for success prior to interfacing with patients and during patient procedures. The DA clearly communicates to Dentist – the patients’ needs/request and other education, procedures, diagnosis and treatment related matters prior to treatment. The DA perform a variety of patient care, office, and laboratory duties, in addition to performing work chair-side as Dentist examines and treat patients and works proactively to ensure Dentist clinical/hygiene needs are met. The DA is responsible for making patients comfortable as they are seated in the dental chair, prepares patient for treatment, and obtains the accurate patient dental records. The DA is responsible for handing instruments and materials to Dentist and also responsible for keeping the patients mouths dry and clear by using suction or other devices. The DA is responsible for sterilizing and disinfecting instruments and equipment, preparing trays of instruments for dental procedures, and instructing patients on postoperative and general oral health care.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
* High school diploma or GED.
* Must be detail oriented and organized
* Must possess excellent customer service skills and work well under pressure
* Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and desk top publishing
* Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to work independently as well as with a team
* Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
* Must pass criminal background check
Preferred Education and Experience
* 1-year experience as a Dental or Medical Assistant
* Certified Dental Assistant.
* Use of dental/medical technology.
* Ability to connect with patients.
* Driven and works with a sense of urgency.
* Has the ability to multi-task.
* Professional, courteous and approachable demeanor.
* Cerac Experience
Additional Eligibility Requirements
* Current CPR certification.
* Employee must submit to a post offer, pre-employment physical examination/medical history check.
* Employee may be required to submit to an annual Tuberculosis (TB) and Rubella screening.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Retrieve patients records and escort patients to proper dental specialty section; seat and prepare patient for attending Dental Officer; assist the Dental Officer by preparing dental instruments, essential materials, drugs, and medications.
* Use suction to keep patients mouth clear and dry during dental procedures, pass instruments to the Dentist, apply topical anesthetic, make temporary crowns, take impressions, pour up models.
* Perform Zoom Whitening Procedures.
* Prepare whitening trays with proper bleach and make proper notation in the patient’s chart and on the whitener sheet in the assistant’s closet
* Assist Patients with disabilities to lie back in dental chair for procedures.
* Required to keep instruments sterilized and the sterilization area clean and organized.
* Maintain a tidy, neat and organized supply closet.
* Triage emergency patients.
* Maintain a clean and stocked Operatory at all times, to ensure it’s ready for use for any procedure.
* Sterilized all operatory equipment between every patient
* Change suction filters weekly.
* Set up for each procedure. Be prepared for any procedure at any time. The dental assistant should never have to leave the room to get supplies or instruments.
* All equipment, cart, and bins should be stocked and ready for use. Bur blocks and trays should be ready to use. The supplies should be easily found by another employee working in your operatory.
* Change water and suction filters located outside in utility room.
* Take radiographs of patients.
* Provide Post-Operative instructions as directed by Dentist.
* Make sure any x-rays and narratives necessary for insurance are attached to the front of the patient’s chart and given to the insurance coordinator. (This includes claims for payment as well as pre-estimates).
* Ensure proper documentation is made on the route slip, in the treatment area of the patient’s chart in the comment area of the patient’s chart, on the hygiene sheet, and on the treatment plan sheet prior to patients’ departure.
* Give chart and route slips to Dentist after all patient procedures are completed for review and signature.
* Inform Ordering Assistant of dental supplies that are running low on dental supplies via written onto the supply order list.
* Unpack dental supply orders as they are delivered. Breakdown boxes and place outside for disposal.
* Ensure composite lights are charged daily.
* Gather all lab statements/invoices and match them to the lab bill.
* Follow all OSHA and HIPAA laws and regulations.
* Take out operatory trash daily.
The job description provides a framework for the job and is not an all-inclusive list of duties required for this job, other duties may be assigned as necessary.
* Communication Proficiency.
* Professional Demeanor.
* Customer/Client Focus.
* Patient Advocate.
* Ethical Conduct.
* Regulatory Compliance.
* Organizational Skills
* Time Management.
This job operates in a medical/clinical environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee frequently is required to talk and hear; stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to blood and blood-borne pathogens and/or physical risks, which will require OSHA training.
Position Type and Expectations of Work Hours
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 30-45 hours a week.
Some travel to various practices may be required.