A full time, non-exempt position responsible for assisting the dentist(s) and
dental hygienist(s) in the direct provision of primary care dental services to
patients of the center. The Dental Assistant is also responsible for
sterilization, preparation and inventory control of dental instruments and
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serves as dentists, dental hygienists, or student’s chair-side
2. Prepares operatory for patient treatment as per Dental Department
protocols and the dentist’s or dental hygienist’s directions.
3. Exposes and develops dental radiographs in accordance with state
regulations and law as well as Dental Department directive and protocol.
4. Follows guidelines for patient preparation and dismissal according to
Dental Department policy and protocol.
5. Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by the
dentist in accordance with state regulation and law and Dental Department
directive and protocol.
6. Maintains Dental Department equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s
directions and Dental Department policy and protocol.
7. Maintains all Dental Department areas in compliance with Dental
Department directives and protocols as well as center policies and procedures
relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
8. Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual
item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
9. Maintains a list of all Dental Department patients, monitors patient
flow, and assists the Dental Director, dentist(s) and dental hygienist(s) in
assuring that all patient records and documents, including encounter forms and
routing slips, are properly and accurately completed and filed.
10. Pulls and reviews patient charts as required.
11. Assists patients in resolving minor difficulties, answering their
questions and giving directions to patients as authorized by the dentist or
12. Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with
professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the Dental Department.
13. Assists with various clinical and administrative functions of the
center as appropriate and time permits.
14. Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment
in accordance with Dental Department directive and protocol.
15. Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially
contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive, center
policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
16. Performs all functions in full compliance with the center’s and the
Dental Department Exposure Control Plan including but not limited to the use of
Personal Protective Equipment and Universal Precautions.
17. Participates in appropriate health promotion / disease prevention
activities, both on-site and off-site as required.
18. Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
19. As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary
tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
20. Responsible for personal compliance in full with all applicable
federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures
including, but not limited to, the participation of a Dental Assistant in the
provision of clinical dental care, as well as those relating to, but not
limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and
21. Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein
as may be assigned or delegated.
1. High school diploma or GED certificate required.
2. Registered Dental Assistant Required; Must be registered with TSBDE and
have active licensure status.
3. Completion of accredited course in dental assisting required.
4. Minimum one-year dental assisting experience required.
5. High ethical standards.
6. Well-organized and self-directed.
7. Team player.
8. Ability to relate to people at all levels in the organization.
9. Good communication skills.
10. Consumer advocate for quality health and dental care and services.
11. Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time and to prioritize
assignments and responsibilities to ensure compliance with established
deadlines and protocols.
12. Ability to operate computer, copier, and fax machine.
13. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be
met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required
to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle and feel objects, tools and
controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel,
crouch and crawl; talk and hear; taste and smell. The employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions
of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather
conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
12 Hour Shifts
Week #1- 3 days 12 hour plus Saturday 8-12pm
Week #2- 4 days 12 hour shifts
working days rotate amongst all Dental Assistants