The Dental Patient Services Advisor (PSA) attends to Escambia Community Clinics, Inc. (ECC) dental patients and visitors by greeting and helping them in a professional, friendly and warm manner. For each patient encounter engages the patient in a positive and welcoming interaction. Gathers patient information, verifies and ensures the ECC (Practice Management) Electronic Health and Dental Records are up to date and accurate, collecting co-pays (payments) as required and assisting the patient, visitor or customer in their visit.
1. Greets each patient/client/visitor to the clinic in a manner that is helpful and friendly, making eye contact with a genuine warm welcome when they enter the office, regardless of the individual’s demeanor or how busy the office is;
2. For each patient interaction applies the AIDET patient communication framework
(A = Acknowledge I= Introduce D= Duration E = Explanation T = Thank You);
3. Promptly determines purpose of visit and direct patients/clients/visitors to appropriate person or department(s);
4. When attending to a new patient visit or updating information for an existing patient, politely informs patient of adequate information that must be presented at time of visit;
5. Ensure all forms are explained to the patient and assist when needed;
6. Perform search for patient by utilizing more than one search criteria before creating a new chart in the Practice Management software;
7. Perform all duties in a professional and efficient manner;
8. Ensures they use their personal cellular phones and/or tablets while on breaks and do not use them while working and during patient interaction;
9. Comforts patients by anticipating patients anxieties; answering patients questions; maintaining the reception area;
10. Helps patients in distress by responding to emergencies;
11. Contributes to team effort by working in a cooperative and positive manner to get the work accomplished;
12. Protects patients rights and ensures confidentiality by practicing privacy protocols in accordance to Clinic policies and HIPAA requirement to include maintaining confidentiality of personal and financial information;
13. Exercises problem-solving and conflict resolution skills when handling patient complaints and refers patient complaints to appropriate designated personnel as needed;
14. Understands that patient customer service is a primary essential function of the position and demonstrates this in all interactions and behaviors with patients, visitors and co-workers;
15. Assist patient with arranging transportation when needed;
16. Assist patient with language interpretation services when needed;
17. Assist in the management of specialty referrals or medical clearances prior to scheduling a patient’s next appointment;
Registration Tasks and Functions
18. Efficiently executes Dental Efficient Navigations Scheduling (DENS);
19. Calls patients two or three days in advance to confirm their scheduled appointment;
20. Participate in daily huddles as directed by site management;
21. During check-in, provide/explain ECC’s process of registration and relay the importance of updating incorrect data at each visit;
22. Identify and verify method of payment and collect co-pays if applicable;
23. Explain and assist with application for ECC’s Sliding Fee Program if applicable or refer the patient to the Dental Financial Counselor in a timely manner;
24. Informs patient of any existing balance noted in their account and prepare the patient for any payments due at time of visit;
25. Verifies method of payment for service (Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance, private payee, Healthy Families, etc.) and collects data and/or payment as appropriate;
26. When scheduling appointments, carefully screens patients for all personal, medical and financial information as required such as a new address, change of insurance, etc.
27. Verify patient demographics, i.e., date of birth, address, correct spelling of name, social security number;
28. Advise patients of co-pays, share of cost, deductibles as it pertains to each visit;
29. Copy Identification and Insurance Cards and ensure the copy is scanned into the patient health record;
30. Complete all required fields in the Additional Info Tab correctly and accurately;
31. Ensures all information in the Registration section is accurate and complete;
32. Enter notes as needed pertaining to current payments and payments on outstanding balances specifying date of service, voucher or encounter where payment needs to be applied;
33. Optimizes patients satisfaction, provider time, and treatment room utilization by scheduling appointments in person or by telephone in a prompt, professional and courteous manner;
34. Communicates verbally and electronically via Dentrix to the dental assistants and dentists concerning modifications with the schedule (e.g. patient will be late to their appointment, change in appointment time and etc.);
35. Validate for each patient any charges and where appropriate if the patient had/has insurance, notify billing that charges need to be billed to insurance;
36. Notify billing when a patient provides new/change in insurance information that may affect the previous balance(s);
37. Generates a patient’s dental service history;
38. Maintains patient accounts by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information;
39. Daily open and close payment batch (do not open or close other registration staff batches) to ensure accuracy of accounting;
40. Accurately verifies insurance coverage for future and existing patients using numerous insurance portals (e.g. Medicaid DentaQuest and etc.). as accurate and still in effect using the numerous tools available (e.g.. Medicaid portal);
41. Communicates with clinical staff if patients leaves without being seen by a provider and indicates it properly in the Dentrix software system;
42. Informs Dental Director of needed administrative supplies;
43. Adheres to all Clinic policies on safety and security;
44. Maintains patient waiting areas, office files, and front-desk areas in a manner that is organized and neat;
45. Attends scheduled department staff and clinical meetings;
46. Adheres to all ECC policies and procedures including tardiness, scheduled and unscheduled absences, dress code, etc.
47. Other duties and tasks as needed to ensure the continued functioning of the organization.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience and can display a level of proficiency with electronic health records, dental scheduling;
Skilled in customer service and interpersonal communication with diverse individuals from all socioeconomic backgrounds;
Proficient in multi-tasking to include answering , returning phone calls and using multiple computer systems simultaneously;
Experience working in a dental office;
Proficient with Microsoft Word and Outlook
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Customer service skills and training;
Customer service style that is friendly, engaging and professional;
Understands and adheres to company policies and procedures;
Commitment to providing high quality healthcare to patients in underserved communities;
Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
Clear, concise and persuasive communication verbal and listening skills;
An orientation and commitment to deadlines and details;
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with employees at all levels;
Exercises good judgment under pressure;
Ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload;
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
Must have the demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential information.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Demonstrates professionalism and strong customer service skills;
Demonstrates ability to problem solve and execute to achievement;
Ability to learn registration essential functions and apply accurately, professionally and courteously;
Skilled and able to demonstrate verbal and written proficiency in communications;
Proficient in multi-tasking and time management.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
EXPECTATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Behave ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve problem.
AT- WILL EMPLOYMENT
ECC is an At-Will employer. This means that either you or ECC can end your employment relationship at any time, for any reason, or no reason, not prohibited by law unless you have signed a written employment contract as agreed to by the Executive Director of ECC.