Patient Services Representative
Skills and Education:
• High school graduate or GED.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Practice Management Program and
• Ability to multi-task.
• Dental office experience.
• Dentrix experience preferred.
Appointment Scheduling and Reception Duties:
• Schedules in accordance with scheduling guidelines of the dental practice.
• Places phone calls to patients to those who have broken appointments (“no-show”).
• Establishes and maintains a quick call system for restorative and hygiene
• Establish priority attention to fill canceled appointments for the current day.
• Notifies the team of the patient’s arrival
• Coordinates referrals to specialists.
• Ensures every patient leaves with an appointment.
• Answers all incoming calls by the second ring. Use the appropriate greeting.
• Accepts responsibly for checking office email.
• Follows HIPAA guidelines throughout entire course of patient’s treatment, which
includes post operation.
• Distributes the mail.
• Accepts primary responsibility for patient flow throughout the office.
• Employs excellent telephone skills.
• Keep dentist and management informed of all patient communications.
• Shares patient feedback, positive and negative, with other members during staff
• Responsible for hygiene recall system.
• Issues post cards, letters and telephone calls.
Financial Arrangements and Insurance Management:
• Obtains patient payments and co-payments.
• Issues a walk-out statement.
• Discusses 3rd party financing.
• Assists with billing.
• Prepares and submit insurance claims.
• Issues past due letters.
• Knowledgeable of the insurance plans including fee schedules, and reimbursement
• Proficient in using the management software features to fully utilize the
• Verifies eligibility of patient’s coverage during the new patient experience.
• Calculates the approximate patient portion of proposed treatment. Consider our
fees are often higher than what the insurance company considers usual, customary
and reasonable (always stressing to the patient that this is an estimate).
• Posts insurance payments and assures accuracy of the Explanation of Benefits.
• Responsible for processing all insurance claims, ensuring claims have left the
office within twenty-four (24) hours of delivery of treatment (paper or
• Sends insurance claim tracers if an insurance company does not respond within
thirty (30) days of the original filing of the claim.
• Assembles narratives and requested information to the insurance companies.
• Maintains the administrative office and reception area in a clean and sanitary
• Waters plants in reception area and maintains current magazines and patient
• Contributes to a clean and sanitary break room and restroom.
• Orders office supplies.
Job Classification: Hourly Non-Exempt
Physical Requirements: Job duties involve repetitive motion and lengthy periods of
sitting. Learning and reading comprehension skills require the employee to use the
management software proficiently to include all administrative features. Position
requires excellent organizational abilities and proficiency in mathematics.
Individuals serving in management or leadership capacities must possess excellent
coping skills and diffuse potentially stressful situations in dealing with staff
members and patients.