Happy Dental Assistant Recognition Month! A few weeks ago, we asked the dental community why they loved being a dental assistant and the response was overwhelming! We received hundreds of responses from dental assistants across the country and in many different phases of their careers.
Across the board, dental assistants are a happy bunch (even despite the big challenges) doing great work in the industry. Here’s what they love most about their job:
1. You love easing your patients’ fears
- “Seeing an initially terrified patient get so comfortable and relaxed that they fall asleep in the chair.”
- “I love being able to help my patients that are scared of the dentist get over that fear.”
- “When I have a child come in very nervous and afraid of the dentist, it is my job to turn that around. I love calming the patient down and turning it into something relaxing.”
2. Dental assistants love the social aspect of the job
- “I love talking so much and the best part is the patient’s mouth is always full so they have to just listen!”
- “The thing I love the most about being a dental assistant is the quality time I get to spend with the patients.”
- “I’m a little comedian in the office and I always seem to get my patients to relax and feel comfortable enough for some laughs, jokes, and long conversations.”
3. It’s a long-term career
- “Never a dull moment in dentistry. It’s been 40 years and I [still] love it!”
- “I have been doing it for 31 years and STILL LOVE IT as much as when I started.”
- “I have worked in the same office for the past 27 years so the patients feel like family!”
What do you love most about your job? What would you add to this list? Let us know over on our Facebook!