Few experiences can simultaneously be as intimidating and exhilarating as the first day working in a new office! Drawing from thirty-five years of employment experience, let me suggest the following to make that first day a great day!
- Be the first to arrive! I know you don’t have a key, but arriving early shows your eagerness for, and appreciation of, this new opportunity.
- Wear a smile all day! Attitude is everything, and your smile will be infectious! It will also help you maintain your energy and reduce your stress!
- Learn about who you’re seeing. Use the morning huddle for a chance to get a run down on your patients for the day – especially if you will be the one to greet and seat them! Be sure to introduce yourself, and let them know how pleased you are to see and care for them today!
- Know your responsibilities. Assuming you’ve been given a clear job description, help out your new coworkers after you’ve completed your primary or secondary duties. Running back to the staff lounge for cell phone texting and FaceBook time between patients will not endear you to your employer or teammates!
- Eat lunch in! Unless you’ve got to run home to let out your dog or something, spend time with your coworkers. Just as a dental team must build a relationship with each patient to be successful, so must you build a relationship with your new teammates. Lunchtime is a great time to begin that process!
- Avoid gossip at all costs! Gossip is toxic, destructive, and demeaning. Period.
- Ask for feedback. Check with your employer before leaving for the day. Ask for honest and objective commentary on your performance. Don’t wait for that dreaded “review” in three months. Make adjustments as needed!
- Ask for help. If you’ve been asked to provide services for which you’re not yet experienced or comfortable, ask for additional training! You’ll only increase your value to the entire team!
So, congratulations on getting that new position! Work with energy, enthusiasm, appreciation, professionalism, and integrity! You’ll be a RockStar for sure!