JOB TITLE: Dentist
BASIC JOB PURPOSE:
• Provides dental care for children and adults by performing the following
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manages total patient care to remove or minimize symptoms or to minimize
progression of chronic, disabling conditions through appropriate diagnosis,
treatment and referrals.
• Fabricates space maintainers designed for patients.
• Treats primary and secondary teeth and constructs and places bridges,
dentures, and obturating appliances suitable for growing arches.
• Manages patients with behavioral problems or disabling conditions.
• Counsels and advises patients and family on prevention and early
• Provides preventive services through use of fluoride and sealants and
instructs patient and family members on dental care.
• Judiciously uses x-ray and prescription functions.
• Maintains neat and accurate records of patient care.
• Involved in the review, revision, development, and implementation of
dental protocols (and related dental practice policies and procedures as needed).
• Ability to render leadership to dental staff as required.
• May participate in community education functions.
• May assist community health groups in a dental advisory capacity.
• Participates in gathering information and assisting in grant writing.
• Participates in professional development activities and maintain
professional affiliations. Attends conferences and workshops.
ABOUT FAMILY HEALTH CENTER’S DENTAL PROGRAM:
• FHC Dental Program has been around since xxxx.
• We are the largest dental program for a FQHC (Federally Qualified Health
Center) in the state of Michigan.
• 25 dental chairs at Alcott location.
• Bread and butter dentistry.
• We do have a rotary endo.
• Dentrix is our electronic medical record system.
• FHC’s mission is to become the preferred medical home for at least 70,xxx
underserved patients in Kalamazoo County.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals,
professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from patients
and the general public.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid
conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of
Microsoft Office and electronic health records
• Must possess solid knowledge of dentistry and dental practices and
procedures. Must have considerable knowledge of available drugs and medicines.
Must have a solid understanding of sterile techniques and infection control
• Possesses graduate degree from accredited school of dentistry and two
years of related experience is preferred.
• Must be licensed to practice dentistry in the state of Michigan and have
a current DEA license.
• Reports directly to the Chief Dental Officer.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Work is performed in a clinical dental setting. Contact with patients
• Requires working under stress, in emergency situations or during
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must
be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly
required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is
frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear while working
with patients. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit. The
employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to
ACCOMMODATION: Family Health Center has the right to modify the duties and
functions of the job description based on the needs of the organization.