Job description: Business Manager
Responsible for administering the day to day activities of the business office,
including maintenance of records, patients, staff, scheduling of patients, staff
interviewing/ dismissal, accounts receivables and payables, inventory control and
Maintain patient records
1. Maintain a financial record for each patient.
2. Complete insurance claim forms as needed for each patient.
a. Maintain handle on outstanding insurance claims
b. Run outstanding claims report every month and take direct action on claims
over 30 days.
3. Establish and maintain a patient recare (recall) system.
Maintain an account receivable system using the computer
1. Enter patient activity in computer.
2. Maintain account receivable activity.
3. Prepare bank deposits.
4. Prepare statements.
5. Follow up insurance claims.
6. Follow up delinquent accounts.
7. Arrange payment schedule with patients.
Perform account payable duties
1. Verify invoices with monthly statements.
2. Write checks as directed for 1st and 15th of the month or as designated by
3. Balance bank statement.
4. Prepare materials for the accountant.
Supervise staff personnel
1. Help prepare ads for new staff.
2. Initial interview with job candidates.
3. Determine staff schedules.
4. Prepare for staff meetings.
5. Monitor staff performances.
6. Aid in staff management.
7. Orient new staff.
8. Help resolve personnel issues.
Perform support duties
1. Order business supplies.
2. Establish equipment maintenance program.
3. Help support staff as needed.
4. Implement state and federal regulations as directed by the dentist.
1. Dental experience preferred.
2. Knowledge of automated equipment used in the office.
3. Business course work.
4. Working knowledge of computers for word processing, insurance claims
processing, benefits check on internet, electronic claims over internet and records
management. Eaglesoft is the current dental software.
5. Knowledge or experience in management.
1. Able to work with any employee and be able to resolve conflicts between
2. Able to discuss all dental needs with patients, be objective and be
3. Able to cooperate with other dental office staff personnel.
4. Able to work with the doctor and convey needs to staff in a participatory
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly
administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to
an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and
termination decisions. Well constructed job descriptions are an integral part of
any effective compensation system.
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and
basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to
each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills and abilities included have
been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the
positions. In no instances, however, should the duties, responsibilities and
requirements delineated be interpreted as all inclusive. Additional functions and
requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the American with Disabilities Act, it is possible that
requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals.
However, no accommodations will be made which my pose serious health or safety
risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the
Job descriptions are not intended and do not create employment contracts. The
organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be
terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.