Position: General Dentist - Part time
Reports To: Dental Director
Job Location: Native American Health Center (NAHC). xxxx International Blvd.,
Oakland, CA xxxx1
Work Hours: Part Time, 8 hours per week, 10% FTE (Every Saturday)
The General Dentist (GD) is a key member of the dental department. The GD will
perform general dentist duties and work as a part of a team to provide high
quality dental care.
If you are interested in this position, please apply through our candidate
Duties and Responsibilities:
All duties should be performed with excellence, high integrity and in accordance
with the Dental Practice Act of California.
1. Provide high quality dental services to NAHC's beneficiary population,
including preventive health screenings, and oral health education.
2. Adhere to dental visit model of NAHC; proactive in teaching DA's, seeing
members on time and communicating barriers supervisors.
3. Provide complete dental examinations and treatment planning.
4. Read and interpret dental radiographs in a manner that ensures member
5. Read and interpret dental lab results (i.e., biopsy) within 24 hours and
provide information to members', as necessary.
6. Provide dental prophylactic treatment and topical fluoride treatment.
7. Accurately diagnose and thoroughly treat dental illnesses, disease, and
8. Perform extractions, surgical procedures, endodontics, prosthetics,
periodontics, and restorative services within one's scope of experience.
9. Refer members for specialized dental care as needed.
10. Instruct members in appropriate post-dental treatment, diet, medication, and
11. Answer patients' questions and perform procedures considering patients'
12. Obtain member's final impressions.
13. Obtain and accurately record basic medical and dental histories and other
relevant information for updating patient registration information.
14. Perform dental lab procedures as necessary.
15. Attend regularly scheduled site meetings and trainings.
16. Be knowledgeable on programs related to the dental department. This will
include grant scopes of work, insurances, etc.
17. Work collaboratively with, and support the activities of the clinical data
team, ensuring optimal accuracy and performance on clinical outcome measures.
18. Collaborate with administration in addressing staff and member complaints.
19. Participate in internal and external accreditation processes (i.e. CODA,
20. Coordinate, supervise, and review all clinical work including diagnoses, and
clinical procedures provided by UCSF, UOP externs as well as LMC residents at
21. Assist with preparation and corrective actions for State and Federal system
22. Maintain positive public relations with members, guests and staff.
23. Member Care: Demonstrate understanding and apply working knowledge of safety
policies and ensuring safe member practices.
24. Employee Safety: Safely performs all duties; follows required protective
protocols to ensure personal safety as well the safety of others.
25. Must maintain compliance with ergonomic safety standards; be mindful of
posture and regularly practice ergonomic stretches.
26. Quality Improvement: Actively participate in internal quality improvement
teams and work with members proactively to drive quality improvement initiatives
in accordance with the mission and strategic goals of the organization, federal
and state laws and regulations, and accreditation standards, when assigned.
27. Work well under pressure, meet multiple and often competing deadlines.
28. At all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with supervisors,
subordinates, colleagues, clients and the community.
29. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Scope of Work
1. Be able to see between 11-14 members per day, and complete accurate
documentation within 72 hours of visit into the electronic dental record (EDR)
2. Approve resident and extern clinical notes within 72 hours of the visit.
3. Assist other providers as necessary, e.g., seeing members and processing
4. Ensure completion of medication refills for dental procedures before member
is dismissed from visit.
5. Be an active educator and available for consultation with dental team
members, including dental externs, residents, hygienists, assistants,
specialists and consultants and other integrative services team members.
Maintain requirements of licensure, DEA certification and board certification if
hired as board certified. Fulfill and maintain requirements for credentialing,
privileging internally at NAHC and externally with payers and regulatory bodies.
6. Provide comprehensive, high quality dental services to members, regardless of
age, sex, gender identification, income, national origin or language.
7. Provide care on Saturdays, after-hour clinics, as requested by Supervisor.
8. Display the highest level of professionalism, integrity and a strong work
ethic, serving as a model for all clinic staff.
9. Consider individuals' cultural, psychological, social and environmental
factors in creating treatment/care plans.
10. Attain and maintain UCSF, UOP, and LMC Associate Professor in Restorative
Clinical Dentistry upon successful completion of introductory status and as
directed by supervisor.
11. If assigned to a school based clinic, the following duties apply:
a. Transport portable dental equipment and have a sound understanding of how to
set up at offsite locations.
1. Diploma from accredited School of Dentistry and valid license to practice
dentistry as a dentist in California.
2. Valid D.E.A. controlled Substance Registration Certificate.
3. Have current CPR certification.
4. Have at least two years of experience in providing dental care. Residency
program may be substituted for years of experience.
5. Have experience and capability in four-handed dentistry.
6. Be able to work well with minimal supervision.
7. Have knowledge and some experience in coordinating services with the
orthodontist, pediatric dentist, and oral surgeon.
8. Experience working with an Electronic Dental Record (EDR) system (e.g.,
Dentrix) is preferred.
9. Have a pleasant and professional demeanor and the ability to communicate
effectively and courteously in order to promote a professional image of NAHC.
10. Fluent in Spanish is highly desirable.
11. Must be able to meet set priorities as directed by supervisor.
12. Must be detail oriented and a team player.
13. Sense of humor is a plus.
NAHC is a National Health Service Corp (NHSC) approved site where primary care
physicians who are eligible for loan repayment funding can fulfill their service
NAHC is an Indian Health Program site for Indian Health Services (IHS) Loan
Benefits: Native American Health Center (NAHC) considers our employees to be our
most valuable resource and offers an excellent benefit package: competitive
salaries, personal time off (PTO) or sick/vacation leave program, and an
employer contribution xxx(b) retirement plan to full-time regular status
employees. We also provide medical, vision, dental, flexible spending, group
term and voluntary life insurance coverage for employees and their dependents--
with a percentage of employee contribution for dependent medical premiums. Note
to Applicants: Please be advised a post job offer, pre-employment Physical and
TB test are required as a condition of employment. Additionally, you may be
asked to get a Department of Justice Fingerprinting clearance as a contingency
for an offer of employment. Criminal clearances are obtained to protect the
welfare and safety of clients receiving services at NAHC. Preference in hiring
is given to qualified Native Americans in accordance with the Indian Preference
Act (Title 25, US Code, Section xxx and xxx). Applicants claiming Indian
Preference must submit verification of Indian certified by tribe of affiliation
or other acceptable documentation of Indian heritage. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER: Within the scope of Indian Preference, all candidates will receive
equal consideration without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national
origin or other non-merit factors. Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA):
Native American Health Center abides by the mandates of the ADEA (protecting
individuals 40 years and older) and considers age a non-merit factor in all
employment decisions and considerations. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA):
Native American Health Center abides by the mandates of the ADA and considers
disability a non-merit factor in all employment decisions and considerations.
Furthermore, NAHC will make any practical, feasible, and reasonable arrangements
to accommodate qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.